15 May 2009

Belize: Part 1: Caye Caulker


After two bus trips, a border crossing, and a water taxi we finally reached Caye Caulker. Our first night all of us were exhausted from our early start (5:45am) and travels.  A friendly and severely obese man served us excellent BBQ dinners from his shack of a restaurant.

The next morning the five of us; Ellen, Elena, Becca, Stu and I (small group on this two week trip) set sail for our snorkel trip. Another group, Intrepid, was also on board. This group was following the same route as us and for the next month we kept running into each other.

Anyways, we snorkeled around Shark-Ray Alley and the Hol Chan Reserve.  I saw a variety of coral, some sharks, two different types of sting rays, and lots of fish. Somehow I ended up with a few bruises- how, I'm not sure. I don't remember hitting any coral but there was someone who unknowingly? kept kicking me with her fins. 

Later in the evening we participated in trivia night at Lloyd's Sports Bar. We finished tied for third, only 4 points out of first place (I surprised myself by how much useless knowledge I do have) and the tiebreaker was a beer chugging contest, Stu took on that challenge and won. We received 20 Belizean dollars off our bill. I also was able to walk away with the only souvenir I wanted from Belize: a Belikin beer glass and bottle.  Belikin has a Mayan temple on its labels.

The motto on Caye Caulker is "Go Slow". Difficult for a fast paced walker but I quickly adjusted to island life. Back in 2000 I spent a few days in San Pedro, another island off  the coast of Belize. I enjoyed my time there and here and look forward to a return trip to either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment