18 May 2009

Costa Rica: Monte Verde, Fortuna and San Jose

While in Monte Verde the entire group went 
on a zip line tour of the Monte Verde Cloud Forest. After a brief instruction we were on way. There were about twelve different lines; varying in length and height. I think the highest elevation was either 408 or 480 feet. About halfway through our tour we also had an opportunity to try the Tarzan swing.

I would not hesitate a second to give this adventure sport another turn. I had a blast, not scared at all and the adrenaline rush was unbelievable. A great way to close out my 20s!



Happy Birthday to Me! The next morning we took a bus and a ferry to Fortuna. Later that afternoon a few of us went on a short walk. Unfortunately the sky was clouded over and we could not see Arenal Volcano. Our next stop was to Baldi Thermal Spa. We spent about two hours testing the water temperatures of several pools. One of the pools included three water slides. I went on the fastest one first, thrown around the tunnel due to the speed, kind of hurt so I didn't make another attempt. The other two slides were a bit slower or had more bumps, not nearly as painful as the first. I heard a lot of people screaming on their way down the fastest slide and then complain later, so I was glad I just hadn't become soft.

Back at the hotel and got dressed to party! We went to Volcan Look Discotheque. Quickly after entering the club members of my group soon began buying me drinks and a shot here and there. At one moment I had a drink in hand and two more in front of me! "What is this?, a drink for each decade?" I did manage to pace myself and the night did not end in a complete mess (at least for me). The Intrepid group was there as well so I had a few more people to celebrate with and more free drinks came my way.


The next morning a bunch of us went rafting along the Rio Toro, a class 3-4 white water trip. A thrilling ride that left us all exhausted. Before dinner there was one last thing to make my birthday complete. For weeks I had talked about getting a pinata. My tour leader was kind enough to purchase one for me. A few of us took turns and soon enough candy and other "treats" fell out. 

The next day was the last of the tour. In San Jose we had another fun night out and a final farewell.

My next "big trip" I hope will be Australia and New Zealand beginning sometime in October.

As for now, I'll have to go back to work, what is that again? Although, maybe I'll be sent on the road somewhere so my bags won't gather too much dust. In the meantime- I'll be making rough plans for the land(s) down under! 

No comments:

Post a Comment