18 May 2009

Guatemala: Part 3: Antigua

Our return to trip to Antigua was delayed a bit due to a triathlon. 

After lunch a few of us wanted to use the net but it was busy. We stopped at the bar/restaurant a few feet away and suddenly I found myself in Red Sox territory. Photos, jerseys of the Sox were surrounded by signs against the Yankees. I had a good laugh and thought maybe I shouldn't mention I'm from NY.












The next few days were spent wandering and photographing the town. On Saturday night we went to a club, danced a little salsa and then moved to a different club to hear live music and ran into the Intrepid group again.

About an hour and a half's drive from Antigua is Pacaya Volcano. 
After a 2.5 mile walk/hike we were ready to toast some marshmallows. The lava was flowing, smoke was coming out of the volcano and I was surprised by how drastic the temperature changed when I moved only two feet closer from where I was standing. We stayed just until it began to get dark and then began our walk back down. 

That evening was our last official night as a group. Antigua marked the end of the Mayan Sun Tour portion of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment