13 April 2009

Mexico: Part 5: Palenque














On our way to Palenque we stopped by two waterfalls, Aqua Azul and Misol Ha. Aqua Azul offered many swimming holes, many of which were crowded. Melanie, Stef, Gillian, Sylvie and I finally found a place further up the path that wasn't as crowded. The water was a welcome relief, from the bus ride and the intensity of the sun. After an hour of wading/swimming around we hopped back on the bus and within an hour we arrived at the next swimming hole. 

Misol Ha wasn't crowded. Not only was there a waterfall but we also explored part of the cave. Some of the guys found a good place to jump off of. I finally got up the nerve to give it a try myself. Getting to the jump off spot was more terrifying than the jump. The area was slippery and I needed some assistance with crossing the crevice. A few more minutes to rid myself of nerves and I finally jumped in. I was the only girl to do this- the females had to be represented by someone! (apparently I was the only one crazy enough to give it a try) I think the jump was only 10 meters high, if that.

Eventually we arrived at our hotel, set in the jungle. The next morning we toured the site of Palenque. An excellent guide showed us around for about 2-3 hours before we were given time to explore on our own. 







No comments:

Post a Comment