13 April 2009

Mexico: Part 3: Oaxaca


We arrived in Oaxaca by 5pm on March 31st. During dinner our leader Demian bought some fried grasshoppers. I'm adventurous but not so much when it comes to trying something new to eat, let alone an insect. Some brave folks gave it a try and seemed to enjoy them. I'll let this one remain a mystery.

The next day I explored the town. Again I was asked a few questions about myself from two teenage girls. They were very giddy, nervous about having to speak English. After that encounter I saw a small exhibit on a few local artists.



I continued to walk around the town, viewing many churches including Santo Domingo. Very ornate and some renovation and reconstruction is taking place. After several hours of wandering around and taking photographs I decided to grab a bench in the park and read for awhile.
















The next morning a few of us took a bus to Monte Alban. A small museum houses several artifacts and stelaes that were removed from the site for protection, replicas reside in their place. 18 skulls, all children were on display. It is unknown whether the children were sarificial victims or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment