13 April 2009

Mexico: Part 2: Puebla



After our arrival in Puebla and a quick lunch we set out to Cholula.  







Cholula is known for having the largest pyramidal base in the world. Apparently the Spanish did not know this pyramid existed, they thought the hill would make a great location for a church.




During our tour of the site I noticed a few employees cleaning the site, I wondered, could I help? After we had finished exploring the archeological remains we walked up to the church: Santuario de la Virgen de los Remedios. From this viewpoint I counted six other churches in close proximity. I jokingly asked a friend how much sin could possibly exist in this small town. 




The next day myself and some fellow travelers walked around Puebla. We toured two other churches. One of the cathedrals has a 60 meter tower, however, to our disappointment the tower was closed. I'm not sure what this building is/used for but, for a second I felt like I was in Greece, the blue and white building reminded me of landscapes I've seen. Hmm, when will I make a visit to Greece?

A visit to a candy shop was another stop. Surprisingly I didn't sample any chocolate. I was waiting for some tortillas filled with meat and cheese from Taco Tony's- mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment