04 April 2009

Mexico: Part 1: Mexico City

On the 27th of march I arrived in Mexico City. Due to lack of sleep, (about 30 hours), I didn´t do anything upon my arrival. I entered my hotel room, showered, and only left to grab something to eat at a 7-11.

The next morning I was well rested and began to explore the city. After walking through Parque Alameda I continued on to Constitution Plaza. While photographing the plaza I was stopped by a young girl and her mother. The girl had an assignment; to ask a native English speaker a few questions. Simple questions were asked such as "where do you live", "do you like to travel", "do you like Mexico". I hope she received a good grade. I then walked over to Templo Mayor. A lot of this site has been destroyed or built on. The museum had a good collection of artifacts and excavation is still ongoing.


Later that evening I met with my tour leader and group. We had a delicious dinner and upon returning to the hotel I met my roommate, Sylvie from Switzerland.

The next morning a few of us went to Teotihuacan. We first stopped at the Plaza de las Tres Culturas. A Combination of Aztec, Spanish and Mexican cultures. 











After touring the artists shop and sampling some Mezcal we finally began exploring Teotihuacan. An expansive site indeed. I had time to climb the Pyramid of the Sun, taller than the Pyramid of the Moon. So much to see and being a Sunday (Mexicans don't pay admission on Sundays) the place was extremely crowded. 


We stopped for lunch at none other than Teotihuacan Restaurant. Another great meal and entertainment was provided by two guitarists and two dancers.







We were driven over to the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe. We viewed the temple from afar, toured the old basilica (lots of scalfolding), and the modern basilica. This place has now become the most visited site in the entire world. A shawl with the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe brings millions of people to Mexico City every year. 

The current church was built in the 1970s and can hold 40,000 worshipers. I think the modern basilica is absolutely hideous, what an eyesore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment