23 March 2009

Peru: Part 3: Lake Titicaca; Floating Island Visit, Homestay at Llachon Island and Taquille Island

At the port of Puno we bought some gifts for our next homestay visit. We set sail on Lake Titicaca to first visit the floating reed island of Titino. A resident showed us how the island is formed and how at any moment the island could be cut up if people were no longer getting along. A volleyball game and a ride around the island on their reed boat were also part of the visit.


We then sailed on to Llachon Island. My "dad" Joaquin quickly introduced me to my "family". He and his wife have four children; ages 11, 9, 5 and 3. I played games with the kids until I noticed lunch was being prepared. I offered to help and was given the duty of washing the dishes. I had another opportunity to practice Spanish, knowing some of the language definitely has come in handy, especially with these homestays.


During our visit we also had the opportuity to pick potatoes for dinner, play volleyball and soccer with the community. For our dinner all of us were given the local attire to wear. 

The next morning after a hearty breakfast I gave my gifts to the family; some needed food items and gifts for the kids. Roy, the 5 year old walked with us down to the pier to say goodbye. I had a wonderful, fun time with the kids and enjoyed this visit immensely.


Our next destination was Taquille Island. We walked around the island for 45 minutes taking a short rest with a view of Soto Island- the deepest section of the lake. During our excursion countless children asked us to buy their bracelets. These kids should be in school but parents have them earn money instead of learning, so we were told not to buy anything- giving them money does nothing for the situation. After a delicious lunch we returned to our boat and set sail for Puno.

3 comments:

  1. I've gave my two weeks notice so, where should I meet you? You've really out done yourself and I love your stories and photos. Your journey is truly inspiring. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "I've given..." SEE - I can't even write anymore. I really do need to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im quiting everything to join you on your travels, how big is your suitcase?

    ReplyDelete