18 March 2009

Peru: Part 1: Lima, Pisco and Nazca

Early in the morning of February 23rd I arrived in Lima, Peru. Due to a cold I spent the entire morning and afternoon in bed trying to get better fast. I met my fellow travelers that evening, went out to dinner with the group and quickly fell back to sleep upon returning to the hotel.


Up early the next morning for a tour of downtown Lima. Surrounding the Plaza de Armas, we toured the San Francisco Monastery. The monastery is famous for its catacombs. I'm still unsure how I feel about what I saw. All bodies that were excavated were then organized by body parts into different compartments. There was a giant well-like structure that contained hundreds of well arranged skulls! I found all of this to be a little immoral. 




In Pisco I opted out of the Ballestas Island tour and sand boarding. The activities sounded like a great deal of fun but I still felt a bit under the weather. Instead, I relaxed in a pool with a view of the sand dunes and watched a few brave folks glide down. I also took a walk around Huacachina Oasis. Legend is that a woman was separated from her lover and due to a broken heart her tears produced the body of water. We also toured a winery where they produce Pisco. I have to say I do not like Pisco and the Peruvian drink: Pisco Sour. 



The next morning I boarded a Cessna Skyhawk to view the Nazca Lines from above. Some of the markings included a monkey, hummingbird, astronaut, tree and spider. Numerous tire tracks and other marks were observed over the landscape. The sharp turns made by the plane left me feeling a little dizzy and nauseous but I was thrilled to have observed these lines from a closer/wider viewpoint. This was an attraction of Peru I had been anticipating for a long time and it did not disappoint!



We also stopped by a local pottery shop where an older man showed us how he makes replicas of the ancient pottery found. He uses the same methods and materials of all those years ago and produces beautiful pieces of art. Another stop at a miner's exhibit showed the numerous rocks of the region and an abbreviated display of how gold is extracted. The miner was incredibly entertaining. He used sound effects during his presentation and performed a short song at the end.


Nearby the Nazca Lines is the pre Inca Chauchilla Cemetery. Some of the graves/tombs date to 1000AD. The majority of graves are of young and older adults although a few small mummified children could also be observed. The head of hair on some of the remains was astounding. It easily looked like the hair would have been the length of their body and then some.
(New goal for me!!- HA- I don't think so!)


Only simple roofs cover each grave area. Glass cases and overnight security are not present. To no surprise, looting is very popular in this area. Pieces of fabric and pottery scattered around leave behind traces of the vandalism. 


***** I wasn't able to write any blog posts due to computer difficulties I faced while in Peru. I am now back in Albany but will be heading to Mexico on the 27th of March. But, there are still some more adventures of Peru to be written!

1 comment:

  1. I have spent all my days making sure each aspect of my life is organized within its correct compartment. I could only hope after death someone feels that my scull belongs somewhere very organized. that would be the greatest compliment organized death.

    ReplyDelete