13 February 2009

Ecuador: Part 2: Santa Anita, Riobamba, Guayaquil

Our next stop was a visit to the community of Santa Anita (population 1500). During our walk we saw many donkeys, sheep, cows and pigs on the dirt roads. A few kids came up to me asking to view my camera. Some asked for their picture to be taken and I had a few brief conversations with some of them. A family was tending their fields, women in skirts and a few with their kids tied to thier backs! Some people were brave enough to try cuy (guinea pig) for dinner. We stopped by a shack so two "pets" could be chosen for the night's meal. I thought they were too cute to eat and judging by the reviews of the crew I wasn't missing much- I don't think anyone enjoyed the taste. 


Early the next morning we gathered together for our trek to Chimborazo, the highest (6310m, 20702 feet) snow capped mountain in Ecuador. Shortly within beginning the trail several grave markers were placed to pay respects to those who lost their lives during the ascent. 

Our first hike was to 5000 meters (16404 feet), only a 200 meter difference from where we began but it was a strenuous climb. All of us were relieved when we arrived at the Edward Whymper refuge, I grabbed a hot chocolate and after a few minutes rest decided to continue a bit further/higher. My breathing was fine, I didn't feellightheaded/nauseous, etc- no sign of altitude sickness. Just my legs ached but since I thought this might be my only visit I decided to push myself a bit more.   




A bit of a time crunch dictated how far we could continue on. Our guide told Peter and I we had reached 5400m (17716 feet). Neither of us felt we could have possibly climbed another 400 meters in that short time but either way whether 5200m or 5400m, it is still the highest elevation I have been at. I think I'm ready for Everest! Ha Ha.


We spent two days in Riobamba. Early one morning we boarded a train (felt more like an old school bus on tracks). Apparently two tourists were killed from riding on top of the train (decapatation from electric wires). So we were told that rides atop the train weren't allowed anymore. However, shortly after our final stop at Alausi the train came to a halt. $1 bought you a cushion and admission to the top. 


A few minutes later we came to another stop- rockfall! Many of us hoped this wouldn't mean the end of the ride. Crew and fellow passengers jumped out and off the train to help move the large rocks and boulders. You would think an archeologist would go and help with the digging, but no. I enjoyed taking photos of the scenery and of my fellow travel buddies helping us get out of this jam. Plus, would I really want to put all the men to shame by my might?! The ride continued and what an experience it was. Sitting atop the train definitely made the Devil's Nose a highlight of the trip. 

Our next stop: Guayaquil. With only one day to spend here I walked the Malecon 2000, a 2.5 km (1.5 mile) boardwalk along the Guayas River. Many shops, restaurants and museums line the boardwalk. 



After dinner a few of us ventured to Barrio de las Penas. A series of 444 steps winds your way through several busy streets of houses, restaurants, bars, etc. Atop the hill at the 444th step there is a plaza with a tower and a small church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment