11 December 2008

Florida: Sun, Palm Trees and Hockey?!

I spent a few days in Zephyrhills visiting my Godmother Lynne and her partner Bob. Our first stop was Silver Springs- "Nature's Theme Park". Here we saw numerous alligators; "tamed" and wild, birds, bears, panthers, cougars, giraffes, etc. To celebrate the holidays a festival of lights was on display. Walking around outside in a t-shirt, listening to Christmas music playing and viewing a winter wonderland felt a bit odd without the cold temperatures or snow.


A glass bottom boat took us around the springs. A diver squeezes her way into the narrow break and measures the depth every year, currently 80 feet. Our guide informed us that Numerous movies; Tarzan, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Rebel Without a Cause, Legend (to name a few) and television shows; Sea Quest, Crocodile Hunter were filmed here. After production of one movie ended three replicas of ancient greek statues were left behind at the bottom of the springs and have since been used for other projects.



I was last at the Dali Museum in 1990. I really enjoyed my visit then -
such sophistication for an 11 year old! (sometimes I think I have regressed) So I wanted to make a return visit after all these years and an increased appreciation for the artist. The museum was much smaller than I remembered. Numerous works were removed for a temporary exhibit on artist Wifredo Lam. Construction of a new, larger and hurricane proof museum is slated to begin sometime this month and should be opened early 2011. Guess that's cause for another visit!

Continuing with our classy afternoon, we went to the Florida Orange Groves Winery. You will not find a single grape in their selection of wines. This unique winery produces wines made from mangos, grapefruits, oranges, bananas, carrots, tomatoes, etc. We sampled many varieties(all for free) and purchased a few bottles. 

From art and wine to hockey! The Buffalo Sabres were visiting the Tampa Bay Lightning. Lynne and Bob graciously allowed me to wear my jersey. I had thought I would be heckled by those pesky Lightning fans but to my surprise I was surrounded by Sabres fans! The whole arena was about 50/50 Lightning and Sabres. Nothing to worry about at all. 



The game was a close one. Buffalo would score then within a minute or two Tampa would answer back. After the 4th goal scored by the Sabres I figured it would only be a matter of time before the Lightning struck again. (such copycats, pun intended). However, Buffalo was able to hold them off and WIN! Needless to say I was thrilled with the outcome. Being a good sport I bought Lynne and Bob a round of drinks, they needed something to brighten their spirits and I wanted to make sure I had a ride home! We stopped by Trolleys where they have a post game call in show and raffle. I won a 25 dollar gift card to Starbucks and Lynne won 2 tickets to Universal Studios. A great end to a fun evening!

When I left Tampa the temperature was 74. In Albany I was greeted by a chilly 10 degrees! Ah, the northeast- Home Sweet Home!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, im not surprised at the sabres fans in florida - they say florida is just a bunch of retired new yorkers! :)

    ReplyDelete